Landlord & Tenant
With vast experience in advising landlords and tenants of both commercial and residential properties and a business-focused background, our litigation team will work hard to ensure your interests are well protected.
Landlord and Tenant law is a vast sector governed by a host of statutes. There are countless obligations and procedures to adhere to which call for an in-depth understanding of the relevant legislation and a finger on the pulse of the latest case law. Failure to follow the correct procedures, or acting in a way that deviates from any essential aspect of the relationship between tenant and landlord, could lead to costly disputes.
The careful landlord has to:
- Buy his property once he has sourced the appropriate funding.
- Fix the appropriate rent.
- Check the property and put right anything which is unsafe.
- Redecorate or refurbish it.
- Obtain an Energy Performance Certificate (‘EPC’).
- Arrange an initial and then annual gas safety checks.
- Make sure that any furniture, etc, supplied with the let satisfy the Regulations.
- Arrange an initial inspection of the electrical wiring and electrical equipment.
- Find a Letting Agent if required.
- Find a Tenant.
- Ensure that the requirements of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme are met.
- Enter into an AST agreement with the Tenant.
- Take up references.
- Take up a Guarantee.
…and all before the Landlord has received any rent.
Management and Drafting
We understand the difficulties that face Landlords and believe that it is vital to ensure that Landlords meet their responsibilities from the outset. We know from our client that the perception of the modern day landlord is very different from the reality and that they must clear numerous obstacles before the first rent payment even arrives. Therefore, by ensuring that Landlords are well informed we can prevent costly disputes from arising. Our litigation solicitors are well-versed in all aspects of the landlord and tenant relationship, regularly advising on:
- Preparation, negotiation and approval of new leases, including renewals under the Landlord and Tenant Act.
- Assured and assured shorthold tenancies, Rent Act and all residential tenancies.
- Repairing obligations and dilapidations.
- Granting and taking leases.
- Transfer of leases.
- Renewal of leases.
- Variation of leases.
- Subletting of leases.
- Break clauses.
Should you be facing a dispute as a Landlord or Tenant that cannot be resolved personally, we are able to draw upon our expertise and provide practical advice tailored to achieving results that are in your best interest’s long term, and you will be supported at the highest level whether you are pursuing or defending action. We act for both Landlord and Tenants giving us a unique insight which enables us to reach a swift resolution saving you both time and money.
Through years of experience we have built up an expertise in helping Landlords and Tenants at all stages of their dispute:
- Rent recovery and enforcement.
- Possession claims.
- Service charge and ground rent disputes.
- Rent reviews.
- Dilapidation claims.
- Proceedings before the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal.
Our priority is not to make a bad financial situation worse and so we have tailored our fees to meet individual client needs with a variety of packages.
Call our Landlord & Tenant team on 0121 778 2371 and speak to an expert or Contact Us here.
Make An Enquiry
If you would like to speak to one of our experts regarding your legal matter simply complete the form below and we will call you back.
Our Services: Whether Personal or Business
The Law Practice (UK) Ltd provides an extensive range of legal services to private clients and businesses across offices in Walsall, Great Barr, Shoreham-By-Sea and London. From the individual to blue-chip company we have the experience to deliver an expert range of legal services at very reasonable prices.