Moving Home Checklist
Moving home is statistically one of the most stressful things you can do in life. Making sure you’ve packed everything and like most people having to move it in one day and unpack is hard enough without having to think about all the others things you should be doing. That’s, why we’ve created a handy Moving Home Checklist to make sure, moving is that little less stressful
Six weeks before moving
We suggest you should be doing the following tasks from our moving home checklist six weeks before you move to reduce the stress of the big day and make sure everything is in order.
- Confirm the date of your move.
- If you’re renting, notify your landlord of your moving date.
- Check your home insurance – make sure you have cover from the day you move in to your new home.
- Obtain written quotes from several removal firms. Get references and check the limits of their insurance.
- If you’re not using professional removers, ask friends to help.
- Book extra storage space if required.
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure.
- Start getting rid of possessions you no longer need. Decide which items can be taken to a charity shop, sold at car boot sale, or offered to your friends.
- If you need new furniture or carpets – order them now and arrange delivery for when you move in.
Two weeks before moving
The big day is coming up fast, we suggest you should be doing the following tasks from our moving home checklist two weeks before you move home to reduce the stress of the big day and make sure everything is in order.
- Start packing non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes.
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you’re moving out of the area.
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- Notify your milkman and newspaper shop that you’ll be moving and give them a date you want the service to stop.
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move.
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of address ecards.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address.
- Arrange a time to collect the keys for your new home from the estate agent.
- Notify then bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders.
Request a Free Consultation
If you would like to speak to one of our experts regarding your legal matter simply complete the form below and we will call you back.
Our Services: Whether Personal or Business
The Law Practice provides an extensive range of legal services to private clients and businesses across offices in Walsall, Great Barr, Stratford upon Avon and London. From the individual to the blue chip company we have the experience to deliver an expert range of legal services at very reasonable prices.